.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Cinematic Appreciation Query

Could the iridescent and endlessly sweet if somewhat food-deprived French movie actress, Audrey Tautou, ever play a role in which she isn't always beaming, and instead portray a mean and scratchy virago? Well, I suppose that all women can go into that mode, if only briefly and given enough motivation. I personally have never seen one that couldn't. And I admit that in "Priceless," in which she plays a con artist of sorts, Tautou did approach and then even dip into bitchiness, but that was only for a single fleeting moment during which she was at her least convincing, as if that one bit was in her contract and in her mind had no other reason to happen, and her director couldn't bring himself to try to push her to anything more.

She doesn't strike me as being the sort, anyway, that you would ever try to push into anything at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I wanted to respond to your comments where I knew you would see them. Part of the reason I so desperately want to serve on a jury is because I do believe in "innocent until proven guilty" and I don't believe that many (especially in NW Florida) believe that way. By serving on a jury, I feel that I may make a difference in someone's life. Or I may help to convict someone guilty of a crime. My greatest fear is that I will end up with a capital murder case, though, because I would NEVER vote to send someone to death.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Watch out there, Lady!

You know what they say, about "Never say "never."

I think it all depends, first on the case, though very hopefully you won't get such a one, and also on what happens in the jury room in the sad event that you do. During deliberations, being on a jury is much like being in a class, or on a job, or in a church, on anywhere where there are other people to contend with. But especially in a jury room where things are much more concentrated than usual. You don't know who you'll be in there with, but whoever they are, I think you can count on being pushed hard and relentlessly if you're not on the right side of things.

Meanwhile before going on jury thing, if you haven't already seen it, check out the film "Eight Angry Men," both versions, the 1950's one and the totally excellent remake made I guess 10 ot 15 years ago.

Or on second thought, DON'T look at them! You might go in there thinking you're in that film, which is kind of what I did, and it didn't help matters.

But those two films are the definitive ones on serving on juries, I believe.

7:10 PM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I'm pretty sure you are asked if you could vote for the death penalty during voir dire (oooh, check out my Latin) and if you tell them you will never vote for death, you are excused. And I will be honest. While I believe there are probably people who should be put to death, I think it costs the tax payers too much to pay for it. It's cheaper to give them life sentences.

As far as the "Angry Men" I have never seen the movies, BUT we did read it aloud in my 12th grade english class and guess which charctar I played?? It was one of my favorite times in high school english. How often do you get to yell in school? And, yes, I got to play the really angry guy, although that has been a few years ago (almost 25) so I don't remember much beyond the yelling. Maybe I will rent it AFTER I have jury duty.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home