.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Suspended in Ice

Ater the great snowfall night before last, a fair amount of it melted during the day, though the temp never got above 40. And now this morning it was back down to 3 degrees F. But everything is still pretty outside, and it's supposed to start getting warmer in a couple of days.

All the same this winter is starting to make me wonder if, after all those thousands of years of wandering around Europe in the cold while trying to sneak up on a decent meal every day with their pointed sticks, one day the Neanderthals finally decided to pack it in and that's why they're no longer here, and why a lot of the wild animal types that they associated with are also missing..

On the other hand it seems that everything that has ever lived in much warmer Africa is still there, going back many millions of years, though they all tend to be on the irritable side.

Yesterday my good neighbor across the road, L., told me that the only thermometer she and her potter husband K. have is the one inside her new hybrid Prias. And after my wife moved the fancy but little-used Cadillac that she inherited from her mother, at my urging because of all the frozen snow chunks and other stuff bombarding it from the trees, she said that it has a readout of some kind that said, "Ice possible."

How did it know that!

This is what comes of having vehicles that are more sophisticated than your houses, but as I spend practically no time in vehicles I wouldn't be appreciative of such. I have thermometers everywhere in my several buildings, and I read them as constantly as I do the Google or Obama News. My state of mind, if not my life, depends on that.

2 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I have thermometers in other places than my little Nissan Sentra, but I do have one there. It amuses me when I start it up and it says "Icy Roads"

WHAT?!?!?!

The only icy roads we usually get are when the city continues to water the grass in the dead of winter when it is below freezing. Of course, last year it did cause several wrecks!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

(Smiles) That reminds me of the numerous messages we get while fiddling with our computers, especially with Windows. In those rare times when we are given a reason for something, in their error messages or warnings, along with remedies, more often than not it covers situations other than the one at hand. So I've learned to take them all with a grain of salt.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home