.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Better President

If I had been chosen President back in 2000, neither Iraq nor Afghanistan would've been invaded, at least by American troops, and as a result thousands of Afghans and millions of Iraqis would be still in their happy homes and enjoying the much longer shots at living that they were promised at birth but that foreigners from 7,000 miles away denied them. Instead I would've found ways to mess with the Taliban's mind, a surefire method of dealing with lunatics like them. Granted, Saddam would've still been around, but I believe that, like that McCain fellow, in 2003 Saddam had long since shot his wad and entered an early dotage that, in a nation of whizzbangs like Iraq, would've rendered him largely null and void, though over here numbers of people seem ready to let that condition go completely unnoticed, as in the case of that happily rejected latest Republican candidate for the highest office.

If I had been chosen President, I would not have summarily disposed of the big surplus that W. Clinton left in the U.S. Treasury, nor would the government be in so much debt. Instead it would've been in much better financial shape to deal with the many unavoidable crises that are always bound to arise.

If I had been chosen President, all the people who were forced to flee New Orleans because of Katrina would now have better built and higher levees to take for gfanted, and pleasant homes and apartment buildings to return to if they so desired, though my advice would be that if they have meanwhile become comfortably resettled elsewhere, they would be better off staying there. In all likelihood both my parents were born, sometime in the 1890's, in houses in that same 9th Ward that in 2005 was so badly inundated and will be again ...and again, because the mouth of the Mississippi has never struck me as being a sensible place to have a big city, and, even worse, to constantly crow over it.

If I had been chosen President, U.S. diplomacy would be on a big roll, with friends all over the world, to the point where even Atta and his boys might very well have decided to trust not in the 70 virgins esconsed in the clouds but to treat themselves to the definite realities of the Mexican wives that they were so cleverly instructed to choose, and in the meanwhile getting lost somewhere, maybe in Texas, while letting those several gigantic buildings that they hit stay mired in their states of dubious architectural distinction.

If I had been chosen President, the country would've been spared the yearly agony of the sickeningly ostentatious State of the Union spectacles. I would've delivered those messages less painfully simply by sitting alone under a Virginia redbud tree in the spring, in shirt sleeves, and so also spared the nation of the sight of the entire U.S. Congress, which is never ever a pretty picture.

If I had been chosen President, I would've started the ball rolling for single-payer or universal health care, low drug costs, development of solar power and electric cars, much more pay for teachers, even mediocre ones, and far less pay for corporate executives, fewer incarcerations for non-violent crimes, Presidential elections no more than four months long, depopularizing gun masturbation of all kinds, and no waste of money on missile shields, especially some right on Russia's jutting toes.

If I had been chosen President, I would've submitted budgets that would've been noticeably short on more money for noisy, gas-wasting airplanes, though I was in the Air Force. But, though Navy uniforms are the pits, I would've kept about as many boats on the high seas as we have now -- the visible ones, not the submarines. I like the T. Rooseveltian idea of speaking simply by having huge warships make timely appearances around the world. Much less wear and tear on everybody that way, and it would harken back to my self-training in childhood days, when I would endlessly shift little pieces of cork and wood around on a tabletop, in always victorious, bloodless naval encounters.

And in light of the constant braying of the nation's "heartland," I would probably also push for moving the capital from its admittedly completely illogical location in my hometown to somewhere in the Nation's midsection, though NOT in Kansas.

No one is more aware than I am, however, that in reality, neither in the U.S. nor in Virginia or even in D.C. could I ever have been elected to so much as sweep the spit off the sidewalks. Yet I'm still certain that I would still have made an infinitely better tenant in the White House than that now happily ousted Bush bird, though, come to think of it, so would you have, and tens of millions of other citizens as well.

All of that is obvious, which causes one to wonder what Presidential elections are really all about.

Well, now we are in the first stages of the joyous process of finding that out -- though Mr. Obama is, at least here, being judged in terms of how near or how far he goes from the above agenda. So far he's not doing bad, though staying in Afghanistan is an even worse idea than staying in Iraq, and with his post I am so informing him.

1 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I'm just curious, but why not Afghanistan?

Yes, you would have done a much better job. I like to play a game where I pretend the truly elected leader was sworn in as President and we are not in Iraq and there was no torture and we still have a budget surplus. Nice little deviation from reality.

I don't know that 8 years is enough for President Obama to fix this mess and I am not sure I agree with some of his decisions, but it is nice to know that at least he has a working brain and comprehends that we are in trouble!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home