.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Wouldn't You Know! A Real Snow!

We live in a miniscule valley that only our property occupies. The road runs along its northern rim and is higher than the house and the shop. This means that our driveway runs uphill. So every time there's a prediction of snow I park my little 20-year old Isuzu pickup up at the head of the driveway, close to the road, in case of some emergency, though my wife, a more phlegmatic type if there ever was one, always scorns the idea.

Night before last, when snow was predicted and was indeed falling, mixed with freezing rain, I went out after midnight and moved up the pickup. But I had no sooner gotten back to the house when the snow stopped, and the next day the driveway and the roads were as clear as ever.

But that has happened many times, and so last night, even with a more serious snow predicted, I let it slip out of my mind, as I let too many things do these days, and it was the first time in years that I didn't move up a vehicle.

So wouldn't you know!

This morning I woke to find that in the few hours while I had slept and hadn't kept my usual eye on what she was doing, Mother Nature had gotten serious as she hadn't for some years now, and there were four or five inches of snow standing up straight and tall on the deck rails, the trees, and everything else in sight -- a real Winter Wonderland! And Weather Underground is predicting temps that mean it won't start melting for the next two days.

Well, neither one of us is sick, and we have lots of food, firewood, and water, and the electricity is still on, and anyway this is one of the very situations that caused me to want to move to the country. In D.C. I was always dismayed at how, within just a few hours after a respectable snowfall, due to human activity the snow would start getting churned up into a blackish turmoil, an ugly sight that would hang around for days.

No problem with that here. Here the snow everywhere will stay totally unblemished and its normal color for days and the only tracks in it will be those of our one cat, the several wild animals, mostly birds, and my own, and I have only to wait for Mother Nature to do her thing and take back unto herself what last night she finally decided to stop being so lax in furnishing in the beautiful abundance of which she is always so capable, even in these days of threatening climate change.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Sounds beautiful, especially since you don't have to drive in it. I'm glad you are enjoying the beauty. I'm ready for spring!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Rook said...

See, that's the charm of Minnesota. I get several such snowfalls anywhere from 5 to 6 times a year, on average.

True, of late not so much, what with global warming and all; but still, I am guaranteed at least one such snowfall a year.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

We aren't fortunate enough to have any such guarantee, though the climate strikes me as being much like that of parts of upstate New York. We are too protected by the close-by Blue Ridge, some of which runs along the western edge of this county.

So we tend to remember each snowfall for a while, as you do all the hurricanes, Lady, and I did grab my nearly new digital camera and take some shots, though, as always, because I use it so seldom I always have to reeducate myself as to how to take the pics off it and post one or two.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home