.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Friday, November 05, 2010

That Stuff Called "Coffee"

Why is it so hard for me to finish a whole cup of coffee, even a very small cup, in one sitting?  And of course, even so little as to sip a cup that doesn't also have the absolutely essential ingredients of plenty of sugar and cream is completely impossible.

I have always wondered about the hordes who so smugly swear by pure or "black coffee."   What do they think they're doing?   Taking an otherwise unpalatable substance that isn't far from the appearance and somewhat the taste of tar and using it as a drug?

Obviously I didn't inherit any of my mother's mystique about coffee.   I think she told me that throughout her long adult life she had drunk at least two cups every day (with cream and sugar I believe, though I never took special note of that), and she could not function without it.  It was a staple of her life.

No food or beverage, not even fried chicken or apple dumplings (the latter of which I have not had to eat for several decades now, at least not fixed the way my mother did them) has ever been a staple of my life.

So why do I drink coffee at all (in the instant form by the way)?   It's because I've gotten in the quaint but admittedly inexplicable habit of using it to wash down the several pills that I have to take every morning to keep down my blood pressure, ward off feet stuff like gout, and absorb Vitamin D when the sunlight doesn't furnish enough.

...Maybe in memory of my mother.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bates said...

Instant coffee is cheap, but that is its only virtue. Those of us who "swear by pure or 'black coffee'" don't usually drink instant. And good coffee is not nearly as expensive if you buy beans in bulk and grind your own as it is if you insist on a daily trip to Starbucks.

Back when I was working, I drank a lot of bad coffee. People in that line of work (IT) use it as a drug, and I drank whatever was available at the company I happened to be working for at the time. My quality of life improved when I established myself with companies that would let me work over the internet from home... the coffee was always a lot better there!

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home