.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tagged by a Lady

Though I haven't been acquainted with her that long, Left-Leaning Lady over at My Musings, thought well enough of me to "tag" me, along with Andante, after she herself had been tagged. And now I'm supposed to answer, as well as to tag four other people in turn.

I used to do that sort of thing now and then, but my mind no longer runs in those channels. I've come to see it as being too much like skipping stones across a pond. That's fun for the person throwing but not for the fish peacefully gliding around just under the surface of the still waters.

So I won't be tagging others, though my mind, all on its own as so often, insisted on going through the list anyway, as follows:

10 years ago:
Right there I'm in a big discomfort zone (one of those fish that I spoke of), because I can only wonder what presentiments I had about two of the most severe personal tragedies that were already shaping up before arriving in just three more years. Otherwise that was the halfway point between the year when I finished the most paintings, 1996, and 2000. the last year that I actually finished one.

5 Things to do Today:
1. Mail off a year's payment for our fire insurance.
1 thru 4. Do all the other stuff that I do every day, such as eating right (not an easy thing to do), trying to stay warm, washing the dishes, checking out what's on the Internet and on my BUD (Big Ugly Satellite Dish), writing things, and walking around outside tending to things while being glad that Spring is almost at hand.

If Suddenly I Had a Billion Dollars:

I would do all the normal stuff that would occur to any decent person and then hide. But actually that is too appalling to think about, for a bookful of reasons. All my fantasies are much classier than that. For instance I would love to have a meteorite the size of a softball to plop down in my garden. I believe it would be illegal not to report that.. I wouldn't tell the authorities a damn thing about it. But not a stone one. I want a nice, shiny, metallic one. Now that would be something to have, a true gift from the Heavens!

Three of My Faults.
1. I put off far too many things.
2. I don't do enough to ward off things that could be injurious to me.
3. I keep honing my memories and speculations to such a sharpness that harrowing events affect me just as if they were happening right now, though they may have already have been done with years ago, and though they are things that could happen in the future but probably won't, and though I myself and my situation are such that they're not happening right now either.

Jobs I've Had
1. Delivering newspapers.
2. Grocery store worker.
3. Throwing mail.
4. Gas Station attendant.
5. Maintaining aircraft radios (Air Force).
6. Specifications writer (ostensibly).
7. Technical editor.
8. Beekeeper (self-employed).

Things that People Don't Know About Me
1. I thought that sending men to the Moon was a big crock, in a lot of respects.
2. I think I got a much better deal in life than Elvis Presley did.
3. I have never had any desire to visit Hawaii or Las Vegas.
4. I am suspicious of all the charges leveled against Caligula. I think it's possible that he got a bum rap.
5. I could've been an outstanding President of the United States, though I'm perfectly aware that I could never have been elected even to clean the spit off the sidewalks.
6. I know how Cuba could easily have been taken out of Castro's hands and gathered safely back into the American bosom 45 years ago.
7. I turn cold and shudder uncontrollably whenever I hear cloth tearing.

...Well, my wife does know that last one.

1 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I honestly don't blame you at all for not tagging anyone; I almost didn't tag you or andante. You both seem to be going through a lot right now & my feelings would not have been hurt if you had said, "Lady there are things in real life I need to worry about." I thought this might be a little diversion though and I hope you took it that way! You are a very interesting person and I enjoy learning more about you.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home