.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Backing Up My Entire Weblog

In this day of hyper weblog activity, I finally buckled down to learning how to back up my entire weblog, dating back to my first post, in April of 2004. It turned out to be easy and quick, that is, sort of like downloading webshots pictures is quick -- if you have a broadband connection -- though you still have to do it month by month, and that is the same here. But still, even without broadband, backing up the weblog is much quicker than downloading all those webshots pictures -- though it seems to me that downloads on Wild Blue have sped up to as much as 6.1 megs a second, and provided that we can manage to keep it.

This site gives several ways to back up blogger weblogs. The one I picked involved, first, bringing up the Firefox browser, and next, through that, I had to download and install a Firefox add-on called Scrapbook. There's not much to that, and it installs all the utilities needed.

Then, to do the backups themselves, I have to bring up my weblog and then go to its archives and activate the month I want to back up. Then right click anywhere in the weblog window, and hit "Capture as..." or something like that.

I'm storing the backups in my E: drive. Right now it has 9.22 gigs of space. That should be enough for the whole weblog, as I have had several periods of several months each when I took "vacations."

The backups end up being stored slick as anything side by side, month by month, and clearly labeled. Clicking on one, even while offline, starts the browser and then that brings up that month or whatever that period was in the archive, looking exactly as it does online.

3 Comments:

Blogger Steve Bates said...

Is your E: drive external? IMHO, one should back up at least occasionally to a device or disc not physically connected to the computer. I use an external HD connected through a USB2 port. You can use your current procedure for copying the blog to your HD, then make a copy on a CD or (preferably) an external HD.

As to software, for backing up a blog, if you're using an external HD, I recommend Microsoft's free tool SyncToy. Search the Microsoft site for it. Feel free to check back with me about its use; I find "Echo" mode most useful.

2:27 AM  
Blogger Steve Bates said...

("not physically connected" -> "not usually physically connected")

2:28 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

No. My E: drive is one of the partitions on the 40-gig drive of the computer I use the most. But not to worry. I have two hard drives on that computer, the other being an 80-gig, and I will be backing those archives up to the second one. Plus I will also put the archives on my handydandy flash drive and take them out to two other computers in my workshop. I believe in backing up stuff all over the place!

Meanwhile thanks for the info on the Microsoft tools. I'll look into them.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home