.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Google It

Those wonderful search engines like Google have made things better in a lot of respects, but I have found one way in which they haven't, at least when writing posts for a weblog.

Now it is no longer easy to plead forgetfulness when you say something off the top of your head, usually simple little facts like names, dates, or quantities, and you don't feel like looking it up right then and there, so you try to get by by saying something like, "I can't exactly recall but...." Because there will always be someone who will quickly fire back: "Google it."

And so you have to stir yourself ahead of time and engage in those several keystrokes that will either cause the right info to pop up on your screen almost instantly, or will instead take you into a never-never land in which you will be appalled or dumbfounded or inexorably pulled into sailing through some curious side channel that you never knew existed, and sometimes for good reason.

Because almost everything can be carried too far, does the virtue of getting one's facts straight have to be one of those very rare exceptions?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andante here....for some reason, the comment program wants my user name & password, which I'm a bit reluctant to do. What's with that?

ANYWAY - "Now it is no longer easy to plead forgetfulness when you say something off the top of your head," - That's an every-post occurrence with me. I keep www.dictionary.com bookmarked (it also has a thesaurus) for handy reference. So often, I have a very good idea of what I want to say, but the words just won't go from brain to fingers. I'd plead age, but I've always been like that.

Being an info junkie, I love Google. Do you have a Google Toolbar? Very, very handy.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Hi! Sorry that you had that trouble. The blogger comments system has only been in existence for a few days, and I don't know much about it.

Yes, I've had the google toolbar ever since they started offering it. I use it all the time.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home