.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Wow! Four Comments!

Wow!   It has only been two days since I published the post called "The N-Word -- Nigger," yet it has already attracted four (4) comments!   And all before I could get around to make several changes in the post that had been stirring in my mind.  What gives?

This is a huge number for me, for any one post, and even for any one week.   Have the N-Word police already spotted my transgression and are instantly on the job of getting on my case so as to make me see the error of my ways?  And is it really proper for newborn 20- and 30- and 40- and 50- and even 60-year-olds to presume to try to make nearly 80-year-olds see the errors of their ways?   Those elderlies have had much more time than all those others to see those errors for themselves.

It's going to take a while for me to get myself together enough to read those comments.   It is usually so.

 I don't believe that I am particularly thin-skinned.   I have known all my life that the great majority of people almost never see things the way that I do.   After all, that was the whole point of the title that I gave to this weblog from the start, "Unpopular Ideas."   But, though I read the comment threads on other people's weblogs as closely and as enthusiastically as I do the posts themselves, I am slow to read those here on my own, which I know is bad, but there it is.

The only defence I can offer is to say that I must have built deep into my marrow the habit of trying to avoid all adversarial confrontations by trying to see them coming far in advance. 

But still, curiosity is sure to get the better of me soon enough  -- that is, if the whole thing doesn't slip my mind first.   Ha-ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home