.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Unlucky Dears (Sic!)

In his Rook's Rant back on the 18th, Rook ran a long bit in which the country comedian Jeff Foxworthy did up Rook's beloved home state, Minnesota, in the same vein that he used to become famous years ago while savaging the rednecks. You know. "If you do (such and such), you might be a redneck." Or in this case live in Minnesota.

It's likely that Rook posted this with me in mind as much as anybody, because of references I've made to his state now and then

I think, however, that Foxworthy took it easier on the denizens of Minnesota than he did on the rednecks, and his propositions didn't seem to be nearly as exaggerated. Several of those could apply to rural Virginia as well, especially this one: "If you know several people who have hit deer with their cars more than once, you might..."

My wife has hit only one deer, but she knows a woman who socked not one but two in the same night, and she also has a close friend, a charming woman, who has notched up at least three strikes on her front bumper. We also have a nearby neighbor who has hit deer twice, and I am certain that this area is teeming with others who have experienced that mishap at least that often. But it's not unusual to see herds of 20 or 30 deer at night even just right up the road from here, in the fields belonging to G. and C., and the wonder is that the collisions don't happen more often, and not only in Va and Minn but also in the many other states in the U.S. where the deer if not often the antelope also roam and procreate.

I myself, however, have never hit a deer, just as I have never been tailed by bored local sheriff's deputies driving around at night with nothing better to do -- another aggravation that one hears about now and then.

--I can only dare to say that quietly on a weblog, where I can't be heard. If I were to say that aloud, everyone in my vicinity would immediately howl and shout, "But you never go anywhere!"

But that's the idea, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home