.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Much Better Cold Today

I feel much better this morning, though I still did awaken at 4:30, after staying up last night till 1:30 just so that I could enter today at a much more decent hour, one with daylight. Right now, at 6:30 AM,Weather Underground says that the temp in the county seat is 29.1 degrees, and here in the tiny frost pocket valley where we are, 14 miles away, it is as usual a few degrees cooler, at about 26. That's decent, though still not enough to unfreeze the water line going into my shop, a foot of which I intentionally left uninsulated just to see what would happen, after the water kept coming even when the temp dropped as low as 18 degrees. The 12 the next day turned out to be different.

The forecast today had been a small chance of snow, but now the prediction is only for cloudiness, and up to a balmy 45!

I don't know what I'm going to do about the cold, because next winter it will be cold again, and in the year after that, and ever and ever. Meanwhile I lump Florida in with Minnesota and the majority of the other states for a big variety of features that can be done without, so that there's little to no chance of me becoming a "snowbird," because at the very time that I am struggling with its weather, I think Virginia's is still a cut far above most of the rest of the country, including Florida. Actually, the only thing really wrong with northern winters, even in Minnesota, is that they refuse to be only two months long, which would be about right.

I'm trying to decide if being cold is really pain. If it is, it must be a special kind of pain, just as parts of the sex act involve a certain delicious pain, and being hungry is still another kind of pain, and so forth and so on. The file cabinet drawer up in the human brain must be extra large to accommodate all the different kinds of pain that the human body is subject to.

Those who believe that global warming is a hoax most likely are heartened by temps like we've been having for a lot of mornings, but the truth must be that the most subtle and dangerous result of climate change is at work -- the "Conveyor Belt Effect," wherein all that ice that is melting as a result of warming is dropping continents of fresh water into the seas, especially in the Antarctic, and that could cut off the salt water Gulf stream and other ocean currents that keep places temperate and bring on a new Ice Age to many of the parts of the world that till now were best suited for human habitation.

People don't think about that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not too long before the confirmation finally starts sinking in.

1 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I was going to do a post on how unhappy I am with the weather, but it seemed a little hateful. Especially since I had Lola at the dog park yesterday and I was only in a sweatshirt. I was chilly when the wind blew, but never really cold.

My understanding is that we are no longer supposed to call it "Global Warming" but "Global Climate Change." I think that fits better. The climate around here has been very strange for the last few years, including me scraping ice off my windows before Halloween.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home