.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Gator Lady

I think I can say that the lady who operates the My Musings weblog and who attests to her many sterling qualities by never letting my weblog go unnoticed for long, must be in Seventh Heaven now. A few days ago the group that claims so much of her affection, a college football team apparently called the "Florida Gators," became the national NCAA champions for the second time in three years by beating another team with the equally curious name of the "Oklahoma Sooners."

Still I had reason to doubt her sanity when she reported that on the day of the game, reduced almost to a state of nausea by her excitement, she went to work but announced to one and all that she wouldn't be doing much if anything constructive because she had to attend to the title game, and she was all togged out in Gator colors and other paraphenalia, including something called scrunchies stuck in her hair. But as she didn't also report that her co-workers thought she had gone bonkers, I assume that the level of insanity was general in her vicinity, and maybe in all of Florida for all I know, though not at her level.

She also spoke of a football pool in which she is about to win some serious money, after she had already won the same pool a couple of years ago.

As her knowledge of football with regard not only to the Alligators but also to many other teams seems to be equalled only by her encyclopedic acquaintance with all hurricanes that have ever come anywhere near her, I think it is extremely foolhardy for anybody to go up against her in that area of research and calculation, or in any that can attract her attention. The person who beat her out in the pool last year obviously did so only by throwing caution to the winds and sailing through ahead of winds of sheer and extensive luck.

I know that.

1 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Aren't you just a sweetheart? What a great way to start my day, opening your blog and seeing "The Gator Lady!" I may have to print it and keep it.

And I did win the football pool, but, honestly, I did it more because of reckless abandon than skill. There are many people who make a living on football and many more who make a living in Vegas and they ALL would have told me I was stupid with some of my choices. Not the Gators, they were favored by 4 & won by 10, but many of the others.

I will try to get a post up about it soon.

Thank you for a lovely morning.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home