.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Friday, January 23, 2009

In the 60's. Really?

The march of the cold continues. This morning it got down to 18 F, at or near which reading it always is around here at dawn these days.

But at least, about a week ago the water line going up into my workshop finally thawed out, though when the temp hit only the middle 40's. As soon as the flow resumed I dropped everything and rushed under the building to insulate that last foot and a half of the 1-inch black plastic pipe going up through the floor, and a few days later the temp got down to 9 and the water was still rushing.

Unless you are your own water company, as I am, you may not be able to imagine how much satisfaction you can get out of turning on a faucet several times a day, just to see the water still running.

Around this time my wife was looking at a movie about Lily Langtry, and passing by I just happened to catch a moment in which the famed beauty and actress, in her own advancing years, said that wanting to move to a warmer place is a sure sign of old age.

I don't have those longings, but I had stopped thinking that such a benign temperature as 63 was still possible. That is what the temp is supposed to hit later today. I'll believe that only when I feel it.

2 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

In the 60s? I am not sure that is fair since I live so much farther south and we MAY hit 60 F today. I thought I lived in Florida to stay away from weeks of freezing temperatures, but it's not going so well for me.

Stay warm - Good things are coming.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Yes, I've heard that Florida can get on the coolish side, and in fact the last time I was there, one morning our car was coated with a thin layer of ice.

So I might as well stay here. :)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home