.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Friday, August 08, 2008

The Jehovah's Witnesses

For all their essential remoteness from all the other aspects of my life, I think I have been mulling over the Jehovah's Witnesses ever since I started thinking for long about anything. This is because of their mystery, and that was probably launched by having an early childhood friend that I seem to remember very vaguely from my kindergarten or 1st grade days.

This kid had parents who were Jehovah's Witnesses, and in that all-Rainbow world to which I was entirely restricted through all the first years, though their attitudes were perhaps heavily over-represented in my mind by those of my all-important mother, that persuasion of his parents was another of a long line of "peculiar" subjects that could be noted but were not discussed, for reasons that, as with sex and as with events deep in my parents' New Orleans past, and as with politics and even music, were never disclosed.

In the years immediately after that, first in a Maryland suburb and later in the D.C. "Inner City," the Witnesses rarely came around, but they still kept haunting the cupboards in one of the back rooms of my mind, and it wasn't until I started living here in rural Virginia that I suddenly saw a lot of them, up close and personal.

I hold counts against all religions, and that keeps me resolutely determined to remain forever disengaged from any of them. Some have more counts against them than others, but I have only one against the Jehovah's Witnesses. That is their requirement for its adherents to go around, at odd intervals, to the houses of strangers to read them things from the Bible. That is something I absolutely could not and would not do.

I know, I know. But for that I would never have met the "Friday Nights Lights" lady. But life has never even thought about affording me more similarly good things than there are stars in the sky.

Everything else about the Witnesses I applaud. They don't seem to make any distinctions among people, by race, creed, color, class, or any of the other ways in which people indulge in their overpowering need to feel naturally superior, which means that a certain number of others must necessarily be inferior. And the Witnesses don't indulge in any obsessions with structures. No huge cathedrals, mosques, temples, synagogues and the like, highly overdecorated, and otherwise filled to overflowing with salutes to utter pomposity. Just the plainest of little buildings with maybe one sign in front telling what it is. Plus they don't seem to have any leaders as such. No bishops, popes, and what not, at least none that you ever hear anything about or from. Leaders may have their uses, but not when you have to hear from them. The Jehovah people just have Jesus Christ and that's it.

So how are they able to hang together with such low-key consistency through the years? What do they do when they're together in their very austere-looking Kingdom Halls? Do they hold services at all? Do they sing, or listen to sermons? Are collection plates passed around? Are the women segregated from the men during their devoltions or readings or whatever they do in there?

To answer these and other questions I have long wanted to visit one of their services just once, and by this time I probably would've, had it not been for one of the banes of being a Baptist, into which I had myself inducted at the age of 12, only to "backslide" permanently a few years later at 16. And that was the custom of having any new visitors stand up and be seen and greeted at the Sunday services. I thought then and I still think I would rather go through having one of my arms broken than to endure the intense embarrassment of that, and I wouldn't want the Witnesses to finally betray themselves with an act of that nature.

And my wife doesn't help in the least, thinking she is encouraging me, by telling me that I should go just once, because they would be glad to see me. --All right. So let's forget the whole thing.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Carl

About 10 years ago i had the same reservations as you. If I went to one of the meetings, what strange ritual might I get caught up in? Would I have to dance, chant, recite...? - all while doing handstands semi-naked? Eventually i went to a Sunday meeting - the 'Public Talk' I was greeted by friendly faces. Inside the 'Kingdom Hall' was like a university lecture theatre. Nicely furnished, modern and clean. No icons, images, statues or stained glass whatsoever. The speaker on stage announced that the meeting was about to start. He was dressed in a suit and tie - no religious garb at all. The meeting stated with a song. After that another speaker from a visiting congregation gave a 40 minute talk he had prepared based on the Bible. Attendees were encouraged to follow in their Bibles the scriptures cited in the talk. after that, another song, then a 30 minute study of the Watchtower magazine. At the end of the meeting people mingled and talked. I never felt threatened at all, in fact I felt very comfortable. There was no collection. Women, men AND children all sat together and heard the same material.
I could leave at any time, and there was no announcement that I was there. Nothing was required of me at all. I simply sat and listened, at the end, I talked with one or two, then left.
What i liked was that the Bible was the only reference, there were no icons, there was no pressure put on me, there was no ritual. The speakers are not bishops, priests, popes etc, but instead ordinary blokes who know the Bible, and work by day like you and me.
As well, the material taught from the bible is the same as that in the Congo, London, Beijing, Anchorage or Sydney. Unlike mainstream religions that adapt to local customs and beliefs.
Anyway, I recommend you give it a go and at least satisfy your curiosity.
Keven - Australia

10:37 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Many years ago, when I was tending bar, the guitar player at the restaurant was a Witness. I talked with him a lot when it was slow and, at one point, went to their church to talk to him and his wife.

There is a lot about them that is good, they do not request money, they do accept everyone. But there is a lot that I don't believe also. I believe that knowledge is power and I think you should go to one of their meetings. It would be educational.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carl,

I think you should definitely go to a meeting. You will not be made to stand up (which I agree would be very embarrassing), there are no collection plates passed around, and no segregating.

All of our meetings are designed to be encouraging and Bible-based. The only part that might be a bit uncomfortable for you is at the beginning and end of a meeting, we all stand and sing using a song book, which you likely don't have. But I can pretty much guarantee you that one of the people sitting around you will offer you one of theirs. :)

TJ

1:30 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Much thanks to everyone. That gives me some good ideas of what to expect. And if I was more in the get up and go mode these days, I would probably take your advice. My curiosity always has a strong pull on me. But my departure from that mode in recent years seems to have become even stronger. Still, I'll at least keep thinking about it.

6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a Jehovah's Witness for a good part of 50 years. Just visiting a Kingdom Hall for the first time is not enough to give you the real story behind the Jehovah's Witness organization. Jehovah's Witnesses are a dangerous and destructive cult! Every religion out side of theirs is evil and of the Devil. The Witnesses are encouraged to HATE anyone who leaves their organization after being baptized as one. Family members will shun their own family and treat the descender as though they were spiritually dead. For more information on this destructive cult go to the following website
www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rick

You belie your comments by the fact that you stuck with the dangerous and destructive cult for 50 YEARS ??? LOL!!

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would get a MUCH truer reflection of what and who Jehovah's Witnesses are by going to the following: www.watchtower.org

This is the OFFICIAL website of the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, not to be confused with the other sites that claim to have "the truth" about Jehovah's Witnesses.

If you can't bring yourself to go to a meeting at the Kingdom Hall, then check out the website. You'll learn a lot.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Dismythed said...

Hi, Kevin. Your blog indicates a question about why we go door-to-door preaching. Follow this link to get a through explanation. The first half shows why and how Jesus directed it to be done. The second half is direction on how we actually preach: http://cj-williams.blogspot.com/2008/11/preach-word.html

JWs is indeed mysterious, as there are a lot of contradictory things stated about them by various sources. The best place to get the information is from the horse's mouth. As for organization, we follow the Scripture's means of organization, and every active member of the organization is a "minister" with no special license as indicated in the above blog.

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home