.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Borat's Iced. ...Not So? Drat!

And while I'm kicking all those objects of Tubular Adoration.....

While scanning the online news, I saw the indescribably depressing name "Borat" coupled with the phrase "Rest in Peace." With tremendous hopefulness I quickly clicked on the item. It wasn't that I hoped the creator of Borat and Ali G, a British comic named Sacha Baron Cohen, had fallen off a ferry to Liverpool and had lost out in his ensuring tangle with its propellers or some such, but I did hope and pray that HBO and Cinemax had found better things to do with his offerings instead of defiling themselves and their viewers by showing his indecent and clumsy creations over and over, every day. And as for Sir Cohen himself, I thought consigning him to 50 years of intense study of Russian icons in a monastery in Spitzbergen would be about right.

But no such luck. Instead he merely announced that Borat and Ali G are too successful, and he is dropping them from his attentions, so as to free himself for other projects.

He was too successful? His dreadful stuff is loved and admired by that many of the misbegotten?

--As if I needed more reminders of how far out of touch I am with the times!

But I'm not surprised. Actually there's never been a moment when I was in touch with the times, except possibly during the 1960's, when both the vacuous and the vicious voices of the culture were almost drowned out, if only for a while...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home