.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Imagined Conversation No. 1 -- Disaffection

"President Obama has not done something that I very much think he should do. Or he has done something that I deeply disapprove of. So, in disgust, I am leaving the Democratic Party."

"But President Obama is not the Democratic Party."

"He's not?"

". . . Does this mean, then, that you're joining the Republicans?"

"No, not at all. I still am very much on the side of progressive causes, and I had thought that the Democratic Party believed in them, too, which was why I was in their camp. But now, no more, and I think that instead a third party is the answer."

"Third parties, or four or even more, are a worthwhile dream, but I think they're a dream only. It seems to me that it is the nature of any political system to be a duality of, generally speaking, liberal vs. conservative, and that's it. Look for instance at Canada. It has long had an operating, progressive third party, but the New Democrats have almost never had a chance to dominate the Parliament and to choose the Prime Minister. And look at the constant turmoil in those countries that have multiple parties, where elections are just the first step, and after that more campaigns have to be waged to form ruling coalitions that, however, end up falling just as short as anything else."

"But at least then in a third party or a fourth or however many it takes, I will have been true to my principles, and that's what matters to me, and I had thought it would to you, too."

"Sorry, I just think that the Democratic Party is still the best chance, and it's better to stay in there and, if necessary, even try to subvert it, instead of wandering in the wilderness, which everybody who jumps the ship condemns themselves to do, because I think that now and for a long time to come, an effective third party in the U.S. is just a pipe dream, and even if one of those could form and have enough substance to last for a while, it would be just as subject to various distortions as any other party."

"Nevertheless I'm mad as hell, and, as the man said in that movie, I'm not going to take it any more."

"But you will, because that's what wandering in the political wilderness involves. In case you don't know, you heard it here first -- a man should never do or say anything when he's angry, or else he'll do something dumb nearly every time."

"Bullflop. And anyway, are you calling me 'dumb' now?"

"No. Just that ... you're not well. because anger is just another form of illness. You have to admit, don't you, the results will definitely be dumb -- all that applause you'll get from the Republicans because you dumped the Democrats."

"That may be, but all the same, at this point I just don't care anymore, about any of it.."

"Yes, you surely don't care. So, to what address should I send the card?"

"What card?"

"Your 'Get Well' card."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home