.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Blogger Sabotage

At some point not long ago that I didn't notice, Blogger seems to have fallen into what I call "the Consultant Trap." I think it probably hired people to make changes to Blogger in the spirit of improvement. So now there are two modes in which posts can be written, the Edit Html mode and the Compose Mode. The Compose Mode is the easiest, because there you don't have to see all the html codes. And that's fine. But if you depart in the least from the straight and the narrow and do stuff like cutting and pasting, or even as simple as putting something in bold or italic type, troubles with the html code set in. At least they do for me, especially when cutting and pasting.

That is because the phrase, sentence, or paragraph I moved is then shown in something I didn't ask for, badly oversized type. The thinking of the consultants there must have been that they were being helpful, by showing the writer exactly what he shifted. But I know perfectly well what section of my scribbles I moved, and I don't need to be shown. And even worse, sometimes, for reasons I haven't detected, Blogger will, unbidden, also throw into that extra-large type size other phrases and sentences that I didn't touch.

As a result now, when published, my posts appear quite often with sections in big type that I didn't intend. This is bad enough, on top of the numerous typos I make and missed seeing as a result of slowly weakening eyesight. And it's not easy to go back and read through the thicket of impossible to understand html codes to fix the problem.

Even worse, when I do think I have fixed things, quite often Blogger will then refuse to let me post the corrected version, flashing a big yellow error message at the top that usually says I haven't closed something called a "tag." And it's almost impossible to read through a post that has more than two or three paragraphs to find what they're talking about, so that the only sure way to republish my post is to copy it into Wordpad and use that to strip out all the html codes, copy the post again, then come back to Blogger, delete the old post, and paste in the stripped one -- a lot of aggravating, unnecessary, added work.

The same error message will also say something to the effect of "Tell Blogger not to show erroneous html codes." I tried that once -- and that post and all my previous ones, though not the framework of the weblog, disappeared, and it took some anxious scrambling to get it all back.

I can only think that consultants never use the things they "improve." Or maybe they wait to ink another fat contract to fix the things they broke, by putting in something else that has the cracks already showing.

But I feel uneasy complaining. After all, Blogger is free, and has been through the five years I've used it, without ever asking for a dime, and just today I believe I have made my 800th post, and not just short, quick ones either.

I worry about how people get the money they need to eat and to get in out of the cold and to pay the clinics. It's amazing how hard that often is to figure out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home