.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Avatus, Jim, and Ernie, at Syracuse

As if to show that it is never actually too late,  yesterday something happened that was an absolute first for me, or so I believe.   I saw a movie about the life story of a historical personage that mentioned another person that I actually knew and was even in their vicinity for several years., albeit in this case far back in geological time, in my childhood that admittedly now is only a dark murkiness in which tiny memories have glints that just barely allow them to be made out with anything approaching clearness.

This person's name was Avatus Stone, though we knew him as Avatus Moore, and he was a classmate at Smothers Elementary School, in northeast D.C., during my time there from 1937 to 1943 or however long he was there. I'm thinking he didn't show up right away.

We weren't "husk buddies" or anything, but we did have something or another to say to each other from time to time, and that distance was partly because he was inordinately fond of an activity that was never my thing in any way.   He participated in a lot of fist fights, though whether they were instigated mainly by him I don't recall, if I noticed.

After graduation we went to Browne Jr. High, and there our paths parted, sharply.   Going to Browne was for me exactly like entering a prison camp, because its principal, a devil named Stinson,  ran such a harsh regime compared to anything we had seen at Smothers that it was as if we were regarded as criminals the instant we stepped inside Browne's doors, and one day during lunchtime, another guy and I had a little session of the usual horseplay in which we pretended to be battling, and this evil rascal grabbed us and sentenced me to spend my lunchtimes without any lunch standing in an empty classroom through the rest of the semester. 

My mother, who understandably and with extreme accuracy had an entirely different view of me, did not take kindly to that at all, and she promptly had me transfered to another school that had the added advantage of being much closer to my stepfather's law office in northwest D.C.   That school was better though not by much, and it had a full complement of kids who were actual criminals, and for them fighting and much talk thereof was their religion.  But I had time to fully establish my credentials as a bonafide weirdo who could never be seen as being any part of that game, a talent that has stood me well ever since in a wide variety of settings  regardless of the surrounding genetic hues, and, aside from occasional taunts, they left me strictly alone, which is all that anybody can ever ask, isn't it?

Meanwhile the rest of my former contemporaries in elementary school matriculated at other places, and, aside from once in high school, I never saw any of them again.  But while at Dunbar High, I heard that right across the street, at Armstrong High, Avatus Moore, now somehow named Avatus Stone, had gone on to become nothing less than that big be-all and end-all, a genuine, football star.  He was a quarterback, with a great throwing arm and also an expert punter, and from there he went to a genuinely bigtime, "white" university, Syracuse, somewhere in New York state, where, however, he was relegated to being "merely" a running back, because at that time no Rainbow, i.e. "black," was thought to be smart enough to be a quarterback.   --As if you have to be smart to play football at all, though there is the question of how anybody can be otherwise, if we are to believe that the players really can understand all those crazy, complicated plays that coaches are so fond of mapping out on blackboards. and clipboards.

As the first Rainbow player to be recruited at Syracuse by a coach named Schwartzwalder, which, by the way I think means "black forest" in German,Avatus Stone became the first in what turned out to be a little dynasty of such players, because following him came one of football's greatest players ever, the absolutely indestructible and unstoppable fullback, Jim Brown, and he was succeeded in turn by Ernie Davis, who was the main character in this movie, "The Express," just as he was the towering figure in the fabulous year of 1961 when Syracuse went undefeated and became for the first time the national champions, in the process trampling a monster team called the Texas Longhorns, and, adding insult to injury,  in their bailiwick, in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, the town where a little later Kennedy was shot, in the same year, 1963, that the life of Davis himself ended far far too early, when he was barely into his 20's, due to leukemia.

As we got ready to look at this movie, I told my wife about Avatus Moore, later Stone, and I wondered if he would be regarded as having been important enough to be mentioned, though his name was never nationally known, and though the pool of the people who had known him, especially in elementary school, had to be shrinking fast.   But  indeed he was mentioned, a couple of times, though a character representing him was never included in the film.   The story of his short career at Syracuse was briefly presented as an example of the wide and high hurdles of prejudice that a Rainbow player had to face even in such a supposedly enlightened Northern setting as that citadel of higher learning.

According to the warnings given to Ernie Davis, and I assume Jim Brown earlier, there being a near total absence from Syracuse of Rainbow coeds, Avatus Stone had dated a so-called "white" girl, and that was a huge no-no.  From then on he had been hounded so badly that soon he had had to leave the team, and not only that but he disappeared to no one knew where, and there the matter, where he is concerned, rests to this day.

Having heard that, and as I wonder what happened with him and where he is now and in what circumstances, provided that he exists anywhere,  though in the intervening years I didn't think of him at all for decades at a time, if ever,  his story has been added to the huge stew of mysteries that keep stirring through my brain, and the answers to which I know I will never get.

Meanwhile I keep thinking of how perfectly incredible it is that the brain, which, after all, is only a piece of somewhat mushy gray meat, can nevertheless retain things as slight and insubstantial as memories for not only seconds but also for 70, 80, and more years.

 This is a part of why it is really such a crime to kill anybody or anything else that is animate, even insects, because they are such miracles of construction.

9 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I will see if I can find this one. Especially in the heat of the summer, I like nothing better than a good football movie to remind me that the season is on its way!

12:55 PM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

I went back to double check the name and realized this is already on my list of movies to watch!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, you seem to be a bit too much concerned about Avatus Stone. His birth father left his family, and his Mother remarried a Mr. Stone. Plus, Avatus had a daughter and a son. I hope this is the end of the gossip about Avatus Stone.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Great,Lady!


You won't regret it. My wife and I agreed that football films don't get any better. It is expertly conceived, without a stumble anywhere, and the actors do a great job. Dennis Quaid especially, playing the coach, is in a role that perfectly suits his dour exterior, and despite great jobs he has done in other films, we think this one is his best ever.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Careful, Anonymous! As incredible as it may sound, from the way Jim Brown was talking on one of the addenda to "The Express" on the Netflix DVD, Avatus Stone seems to have been a legend in his own time even to Jim Brown, who was himself a legend bar none, though not necessarily because of Stone's exploits on the football field.

--Hmm, that's a good line! I think I'll use it in one of my posts.

Thanks for your visit, Anonymous, despite your unfortunate name.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Dueceswild said...

Hopefully this proves to be a post that most of you find interesting. I am Avatus Stone's son,...Avatus. From time to time I like to google my fathers name and see what I find. This article was interesting but I hope this answers your question. He passed away November 2nd, 2000 for those interested in knowing where he is now. To answer the question of what happend to him in this article, his career was actually cut short because of injury in his senior year at Syracuse. He also did end up playing a little QB because the depth chart was suffering at that position and Schwartzwalder had no choice but to give him the chance. I believe that year they went on to the Orange Bowl and lost Bart Starr and Alabama. He used to tell me that before this game he was told by coaches to not accept any interviews and that if he was approached to say his english was poor. He proved to be a great DB setting a school record for most interceptions in a game which was broken around 1985. He was drafted by the Cardinals and left shortly after his first year and went to Canada to play for Ottawa and Montreal where he won the Jeff Russel Memorial Trophy and was a great QB, HB, and Punter. His career ended after tearing his ACL in Canada. The Baltimore Colts then brought him out of retirment for one game in '58 and was listed as a Punter/Tailback/QB. He punted once in one game and then his career was over. I'm sure his athletic career is mostly what people are interested in. Anything else you can just ask. I was only in 8th grade when he passed so I know as much as his friends and scrapbooks tell me.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Dueceswild said...

Hopefully this proves to be a post that most of you find interesting. I am Avatus Stone's son,...Avatus. From time to time I like to google my fathers name and see what I find. This article was interesting but I hope this answers your question. He passed away November 2nd, 2000 for those interested in knowing where he is now. To answer the question of what happend to him in this article, his career was actually cut short because of injury in his senior year at Syracuse. He also did end up playing a little QB because the depth chart was suffering at that position and Schwartzwalder had no choice but to give him the chance. I believe that year they went on to the Orange Bowl and lost Bart Starr and Alabama. He used to tell me that before this game he was told by coaches to not accept any interviews and that if he was approached to say his english was poor. He proved to be a great DB setting a school record for most interceptions in a game which was broken around 1985. He was drafted by the Cardinals and left shortly after his first year and went to Canada to play for Ottawa and Montreal where he won the Jeff Russel Memorial Trophy and was a great QB, HB, and Punter. His career ended after tearing his ACL in Canada. The Baltimore Colts then brought him out of retirment for one game in '58 and was listed as a Punter/Tailback/QB. He punted once in one game and then his career was over. I'm sure his athletic career is mostly what people are interested in. Anything else you can just ask. I was only in 8th grade when he passed so I know as much as his friends and scrapbooks tell me.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the movie, "The Express", I was interested in Avatus Stone's life. I regret to hear that Mr. Avatus Stone's passing in 2000, but I am extremely grateful to find out that there was more information about his life that I got from the google site. I thought it was great that Jim Brown mention Mr. Avatus Stone as legend in his own right as well. Mr. Avatus Stone was the first African American male to play football at Syracuse, so he started the legacy for others to follow him. I send my prayers to his family and friends because of his passing back in 2000. Maybe someone will write a book about his life; maybe it could be turned into a moive as well. Peace and joy,Talmadge L. Darden

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home