.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Disconnected Thoughts

Everything happened years ago.

-----------------

Just as I had finished typing the above disconnected thought, which I intended to accompany with two other thoughts not linked to it, and just when I hit a key to do something or other with it, there was a loud and startling mini-blast in the rear of my yellow computer, and the machine ceased operations, though the electrical circuit it was on remained all right.

The best and only suspect right away was the computer's power supply, because the explosion was in that area, and it's been acting up lately and not wanting to fire up things right away. The culprit still is undoubtedly the power supply, and I am looking at having to buy a new one online and installing it -- actually a simple and fun matter. And I think , while I am at it and since prices on computer stuff seem to have come down a lot, this time I will get a "see-through" supply with a fan that has blue LED Lights. I could put that in my "see-through" acrylic computer and move its power supply to the yellow machine.

As for the other two disconnected thoughts, I'm having trouble now remembering what they were. And anyway -- after a welcome wet period of two days when they had severe ice storms farther north but the temp here stayed in the '50's and so also because of the accompanying warm rain instead of freezing rain and ice I got a badly needed short vacation from my wood-hauling =- now the hand-numbing minus 20 stuff in the mornings that had been here earlier for long periods is back in full force.

-------------------

But that suddenly reminds me of at least the second of my disconnected thoughts, which was observing that the most important day of the year is now little more than a week away. That day is December 21.

-------------------

And it's interesting that the thing that happens in this part of the Solar System on December 21 every year without fail is purely by chance, indicating that pure chance is as capable of as many great things, if not more, as is design -- that is, if they're not finally also one and the same.

------------------

But the most important thing is to remember that actually everything happened years ago.

That's what I put way too much time and effort into doing.

3 Comments:

Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

Why is the winter solstice the most important day of the year?

9:09 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

It's because I am hyper-sensitive to the length of the daytime, and the 21st is the happy time when the daylight hours stop getting shorter and shorter, and instead they start lengthening again. And though I spend a lot of time doing stuff during the night, even outside, I very much prefer daylight, when it's usually warmer and also I can see what's happening.

For that reason, in fact, I see the Winter Solstice not at all as the first day of Winter but instead as the first day of Summer, which from now on will keep building till it hits its peak in mid-June, with the Summer Solstice, after which, in my eyes, Solar regression starts setting in.

6:45 AM  
Blogger LeftLeaningLady said...

That is a really great way to look at it. I am not fond of winter, because I don't like the cold, but also because of the short, short days. I spent one winter in England and HATED it, because there wasn't really much sun for months. I loved the summer though, I think I would like to live in Alaska for the summer.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home