.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kennedy

Senator Ted Kennedy had two seizures today, probably due to blockage somewhere in his arteries.

I have always felt especially close to Ted Kennedy, partly because he is one of the few politicians with whom I could always agree.

It would be great if this sudden setback doesn't prove to be serious enough to prevent him from enjoying a good many more years of a happy and productive life while being a rock steady icon of several sorts, though he might want to think about a change, finally, in his unfortunate place of employment.

Kennedy and I are nearly of the same age -- I am just a half year older -- the other reason why I could so easily relate to him. That closeness in birthdates has somehow contributed to my perception of him as invariably being on the decent and right side of things -- or maybe agreeing so often with his stands has helped reinforce my belief in my own beliefs.

I can also relate to his having had to withstand a great many personal misfortunes, though among them is one that he would probably never concede. He has spent entirely too much time in the U.S. Senate -- a far less salubrious place than anything I have had to experience for any period of time.

History may well record that, like so many others of apparently high station, T. Kennedy hasn't had enough firewood to cut, nor has he spend enough time working in his garden.

Update on 20 May. It turns out that things are worse than they seemed. He has an inoperable malignant tumor in his brain, and he has already been sent home from the hospital, with all that that implies.

1 Comments:

Blogger andante said...

I, too, had hoped for something "fixable" or easily treatable. It was a real 'sock in the gut' to hear the diagnosis.

I have always regretted that we couldn't have him as President of the United States, though I easily admit he's been a true lion in the Senate. He has won my admiration time and time again - a son of privilege working tirelessly for the less-privileged. That's true public service.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home