.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

The San Francisco Tiger

I am a little surprised at how long the coverage is lasting of a tiger attack at the San Francisco zoo, when one escaped and went after some customers. One guy is dead, and the tiger is also dead, though you have to wonder as to whether it would have been possible to shoot her with a tranquilizer dart instead, plus adding the required four feet more to her restraining wall. Also you have to think once again of the felicity of zoos.

I think of all the happy hours in my childhood and also in my early adulthood that I spent at the zoo in D.C., where my greatest interest was not in the tigers and lions and such but instead was always in the snakes, the poisonous ones. One of the first photos of me, taken by my father, shows me standing somewhere at the zoo, at age 4 or so, smiling and holding what looks to be an apple.

But all the while that I was at the zoo, I always felt sorry for the animals cooped up in there, and I could never reconcile myself to it. On the one hand I and everyone else could never have otherwise seen such exotic beings, and also zoos perform a great service in preserving endangered species, such as panda bears, tigers, and many others. But on the other hand zoos are those most dreadful of structures, prisons.

I guess the preservation thing tips the balance, as does letting people see the animals, because that has to lead to greater support for preserving them and their distant habitats wherever possible. And meanwhile efforts are always being made to keep the animals in zoo habitats that allow them as much freedom as possible. So, the last several times that I was at the Washington Zoo, I enjoyed entering a huge enclosed area in which a visitor could walk under (at some small risk) and through all these different species of colorful small birds that were singing and swooping about and perching in trees and such, while only thin strips of plastic hung vertically over the entrances kept them from escaping. And I wondered whether the snakes really cared, as long as they were given enough to eat. They never seemed much interested in moving about anyway.

Tigers were a different story. Quite often they paced about, looking for a way out, their eyes seeming to be filled with wonder as to what had happened to all the miles that their ancestors traveled, searching for the thrill of the kill. Their restlessness was the same as that of a hungry house cat.

I think of the physical equipment of a domestic cat as being such that it is able to go anywhere it chooses, and it only chooses not to because it is so lazy, contrary, practical, and mysterious, in that order. I wonder if a tiger, looking as it does only like a very large tabby, is similarly able -- or would be if it wasn't prevented from making proportional leaps and bounds and strolling along on the thinnest of edges only by its size and weight.

The continued news coverage, which is now focusing on the chance that the tiger was taunted, gives me the definite impression that the two guys who were mauled and even their friend who died are not getting much sympathy. Instead their experience is only putting an exciting edge on the always interesting experience of visiting a zoo, plus showing the folly of not recognizing that a tiger is a cat with attitude and the equipment to back it up, decisively, plus zoos are places for admiration and prayer and not for teasing.

3 Comments:

Blogger andante said...

I have WONDERFUL memories of the National Zoo! I can remember going at a very young age, and wondering where they kept the dinosaurs.

I always loved the seals - maybe because their enclosure was more open and I did hate the bars and cages.

We have a wonderful zoo here in North Carolina, maybe 20 miles south of our house. Most of the 'habitats' are very naturally designed, though there are naturally space limitations. The elephants, rhinos, and some compatible types of antelopes & such are in a huge field with plenty of grazing, water, trees, etc. A little difficult to see them close-up without magnification, but it's a great set-up.

But the jewel is the research and preservation study facility also located there on the zoo grounds, with scientists coming from all over the world to study and contribute to research.

So...come on down! Let me know when/if you can come, and I'll give you a personal tour. Not that I know much, but I love a trip to the zoo, even without dinosaurs.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Very interesting. Sounds like zoos have progressed quite a bit since the last time I visited one. Thanks much for the invite. Somehow I have to get over something that has to come to be a near phobia: a strong aversion to hitting the road.

11:07 AM  
Blogger andante said...

a strong aversion to hitting the road .

You and me both! The older I get, the more I treasure the time I get to stay in one place - home!

My sister, who is several years younger, is a go-go girl who thinks my @5 hour trip to Myrtle Beach should be a day trip.

Ah, youth! For me, that's a week's vacation, with a day on each end devoted to travel, and another day to recuperation.

I hope your tests were more felicitous than mine. Yuck...not a lot of good news here, but I am ready for the fight.

I'll be back later to comment to your later, wonderfully thoughtful posts. I wish I had your flair for "getting the words" right!

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home