.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Solitary Freedom

Recently I saw a movie in which one of the characters lamented that all the really cool stuff that most of us accomplish is done when there is no one else around to see it.

I know all about that.

I'm certain that many think it, but so far no one has yet told me, "Life has passed you by."

With only their values in sight, I would have to say that they have a point. Still, because that world so often suggests to me a set of intermeshing hamster wheels, I would always have to make this impudent response: "Yes, but on its way to where?"

So far I have been unable to imagine a sensible comeback to that.

Spinoza is said to have said that the best quality of life can only be had by remaining unseen, or something to that effect.

But he was Jewish in a 17th Century Holland that was subject to regular fits of Christian hysteria. And he wasn't all that unnoticed, since he was a great thinker and that achieved for him a fame that has lasted for going on to four centuries.

I am intrigued by the much purer fate that awaits the much humbler sorts such as myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rook said...

The only fate I face is that which I have made for myself. And, if I want to be someone else, then all I have to do is change my mind.

Of course, the only question I am faced with is; do I try to get a new brain, or a rebuilt brain?

Oh, I forgot, then there is the whole issue as to who I have replace my brain. I did play around with having some fundamentalists do the work. However, I realized I have an aversion to crucifixion and so took a pass.

These decisions are soooo much easier when replacing the engine of a car.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home