.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Who I Am

Hi! How did you get to this weblog?

Just so you will know who's responsible for this outrage, I will tell you.

I arrived on the planet in 1931 in the Nation's Capital, in a hospital that had been built generations earlier for the use of the freed slaves. I was my parents' first-born, after they had been trying for 15 years, and soon afterward they also produced a sometimes annoying little girl, and that was it.

Though for slightly more than half my childhood I lived in Landover, Maryland, I received all my education in the public schools of Washington, D.C. and at Howard University in the same city. There I started my lifelong impractical pattern, by majoring in English Literature and minoring in Classics. After taking time out for a little spin with the U.S. Air Force, in 1958 I graduated magna cum laude from Howard, where at the very last moment they also handed me a Phi Beta Kappa key. It's been sitting deep in a drawer ever since. It's quite tiny, and I have never found a lock that it will fit. I will concede that I haven't exactly been searching either.

I guess people expected that I would be a teacher, but, always having felt that I am unworthy of that genuinely heroic calling, I have successfully avoided it. Instead, my life ever since college is sufficiently described as having been a collection of towering dreams, some of them ecstatically realized, and others tragically unrealized.

My sign is Leo, for what that's worth, and there's a likelihood that in less than a month I will have 73 years, as they say in Europe. I take high blood pressure pills -- most of the time -- glaucoma drops all the time, and that's all my meds. With enough light I can read quite well and see in the distance, though a little fuzzily. I stand at just about 6 feet and though for most of my adult life I weighed only 135, 10 years ago my body apparently thought it needed exactly 30 more pounds for the final haul, and it seems to have plateaued out there. I am nervous, feeble, error-prone, and clumsy. I'm a hopelessly bleeding hearts, habitual non-conformist weirdo who smiles a lot and doesn't owe anybody any money. I have never smoked, drank, dressed presentably, or done anything else that was in style.

I write, paint, hammer, saw, garden, and computer, and I can do other things as well, though these days that involves a lot more intent and a lot less commission.

For the last 25 years my wife and I have lived deep in the sticks of the Virginia Piedmont, close to the Blue Ridge, in a 1,400 sq-ft "green oak" house that I designed and built myself, every nail, board, wire, pane, and pipe -- excepting only the septic tank -- I couldn't fake being a front end loader. It is located deep in the sticks of the Virginia Piedmont, in sight of the Blue Ridge. That's a tiny picture of my house at the top of the sidebar. I am very proud of it.
.
I've been married to the same quaint woman for nearly four decades, and until two and a half years ago we had a child, a son. I've been very fortunate in having them, too.

That's who I think I am, nearly all the time.



Have you managed to pick up any good ideas yet about who you might be? It's not easy!

4 Comments:

Blogger terrette said...

No, I haven't. But blogging inches us toward the asymptotic point known as "identity."

I like the photo!

6:04 PM  
Blogger terrette said...

No, I haven't. But blogging inches us toward the asymptotic point known as "identity."

I like the photo!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Rook said...

Mighty fine looking man in that photo. You know, if it wasn't for the fact that I like women, your wife would have some competition!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Thanks, Terette and Rook. It's comical, Rook. I was emboldened to post my picture only after seeing that you had posted yours. I figured that if you could be that courageous, I might chance it, too!

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home