.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Hedging a Bet

You could say that I am neither a religious believer nor an atheist. I would have to be called an agnostic instead. That strikes me as being the only approach that makes sense, because the evidence in any form that is convincing to me -- pro as well as con -- regarding the existence of an all-powerful, all-seeing deity, seems determined to keep eluding our most dedicated searchers.

I don't know exactly how the renowned journalist of yesteryear, the "Sage of Baltimore," H.L. Mencken (1880-1956) would've described himself, but I do know that he struck a chord with me when he said that, should he find himself suddenly standing in front of the Pearly Gates and seeing the archangels waiting with the powers of admittance in hand, he was fully prepared to shake hands and say, "Gentlemen, I was wrong."

The Devout might call this rank opportunism if not outright hypocrisy. I would call it a sensible recognition of the need to hedge a longer-than-life bet.

5 Comments:

Blogger ntodd said...

Kinda the opposite of Pascal's Wager, eh?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Carl (aka Sofarsogoo) said...

Hi, NTodd! Thanks -- and no thanks -- for forcing me to reacquaint myself with Pascal's Wager, or -- more likely -- meeting it for the first time. Quite a sticky thicket of theological stuff there!

6:58 AM  
Blogger ntodd said...

Pascal was a smart dude, but his Wager is a bet I wouldn't touch...

8:13 AM  
Blogger cbeck said...

That's a tricky one. It seems like God, If he Be, Ought to give the option to accept his grace once we're dead, but what if he's like, "Hey! F off!" Now that would just suck.

8:19 PM  
Blogger ntodd said...

One would think a compassionate God would give us the chance to make amends.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home