.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Unpopular Ideas

Ramblings and Digressions from out of left field, and beyond....

Name:
Location: Piedmont of Virginia, United States

All human history, and just about everything else as well, consists of a never-ending struggle against ignorance.

Friday, April 23, 2004

The Talent in the Room -- 1

I finally started a weblog a few days ago after being content for a long time with posting comments, almost all of them more than one-line shots, on a number of other peoples' weblogs. (I don't use the word "blog," as it sounds too close to "bog" and to "blob." This is one of a number of unpopular peculiarities I have about words. Wait till you hear what I have to say about "black" and "white," as those terms are applied to people!) Since I've already put links here to some of those weblogs, I thought I'd say a few words about them.

"Baghdad Burning" is my idea of a truly outstanding site. It's written by an Iraqi woman whom people refer to as Riverbend. She's said to be only 24, and she's been living with her family throughout that maelstrom in Iraq's capital city. Her posts, though infrequent, are always extremely well written and full of poignance, character, wisdom, and insights.

Bizarrely "Crymeariverbend" is a weblog that I don't recommend at all, because it was started solely to cast a very critical and disparaging eye on each of River's posts as well as those of several other Iraqi webloggers who don't use a comments system. Usually the frequenters of that site can only find fault with those Iraqi posters, whereas I only see reasons for praise. I link the site only in case you don't believe how ridiculous the ironasses of this world can get.

"Bartcop" strictly speaking isn't a weblog. It's more like an Internet comic book, though quite often the humor isn't obvious, unless you're the kind that can't get enough of seeing things driven into the ground. It started long before weblogs came in, and its main drawback, aside from the hangups of its proprietor, is that it lacks a true comments system. More self-controlled people like Riverbend, Juan Cole, or Josh Marshall don't need one but a "let it all hang out" guy like Bartcop absolutely should have one, instead of just a system of emails, the great majority of which he never sees and deep-sixes. But his site is the richest of any I've seen in graphics, and he is truly funny when he speaks of his own foibles, which are numerous, and he's incredibly honest and open in revealing them.

Otherwise Bart can get on your nerves pretty badly, but somehow you always return to see what that rascal is up to now!

Well, that's all I feel like writing about other weblogs right now.

Meanwhile the title of this post is taken from a very interesting article that Norman Mailer wrote 40 or 50 years ago, when he decided to evaluate his literary contemporaries. I tried to think of a good substitute title but failed. I hope it doesn't sound presumptuous, as I've only just now started a weblog. But I've spent so much time and effort responding on other weblogs that I feel safe in taking this liberty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home